Thursday, March 25, 2010

Boerum to Seigel

Yesterday was a very exciting day for me. My boyfriend (we’ll call him Mr. V from now on) and I signed the lease to our first apartment alone! Last July, I moved into his apartment, which he shared with his good friend and it may as well have been a blueprint model for single messy men all over the world. Beer cans go on the dining room table, not to be moved until no wood surface is to be seen. Dishes belong in the sink, naturally, but will remain dirty until no other item in the vicinity can be re-purposed into a bowl for cereal. If this point has not yet been reached and the sink is full, the spill over dishes will sit on the cabinet, dried, stuck-on food and all. The shower will not be cleaned until the organisms that have grown on its floor and walls start speaking. I might be exaggerating a bit, but only a bit. I knew what I was getting into.

While it's completely normal for a couple to have a roommate in this expensive city, we decided to move out, and started looking a few months ago. Luckily, we found a very cute 1 bedroom TWO BLOCKS AWAY from where we are now! This is good and bad, I suppose. Since living in New York, I have only lived in a general part of Brooklyn: Williamsburg/Greenpoint/Bedstuy/Bushwick. I was interested in moving to a completely different area, to get to know new shops and restaurants and perhaps even....a park, or trees, or something? At the same time, I'm glad I don't have to figure out a new commute (it's nice to be between the G, L, and JMZ....options are good!).

Neither of us really has any furniture. All of the lovely things I acquired before moving here a few years ago is sitting in the basement at my parents' house in the Midwest. Since moving here, I've not had a "home" really...just an assortment of apartments where I had to take other people who weren't my significant other into consideration. While I miss my great stuff back home, I am really excited to start from scratch. We're basically only taking our clothes, kitchen stuff, bathroom stuff, and....ourselves.

I'm excited to "start over" and buy all new things for the apartment. Big items on the list are: a new mattress (a super comfy one, please), a couch (I know it's called a "sofa", but I also call "soda" "pop", so I guess I just don't like so_a words?), and a television. We want a big-ass television. BIG ASS! But, it's the small things that I'm looking forward to. I love it when I walk into someone's apartment and see some clever little accent that makes me smile. I need to come up with some of these things to recreate to the best of my ability (of which I have little) and budget (also seriously lacking...). If any of you lovely readers have suggestions on easy cute DIY projects or places to score cheap pieces (especially in Brooklyn!) please, do chime in!

xoxo,

Ms. Seberg

5 comments:

  1. This is amazing news! Congrats!

    You've probably already thought of this, but I've bought several pieces of our furniture from craigslist, including our custom-made BIG-ASS (haha) steel desk. And the great thing about craigslist is that you can always try to get the seller to come down. I always do, and usually win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    Hello Friend, I love love love your blog, it‘s very interesting!!! I really like your style!! i‘ll visit you many times for sure honey.

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. filling up a new home with cozy objects could be the most fun~ enjoy the process!
    xo*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies!

    Alison: I cruise Craigslist (not THAT kind of cruise!) every now and then and see SO many things that I'd love to own. Unfortunately, NYC has SUCH a bad bed-bug problem, and I'm such a paranoid freak about stuff like that. Stupid bed-bugs, ruining EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about...well, anything! Be sure to leave a link to your site: I completely support shameless self-promotion!